Monday, February 24, 2014

Overview of Life as an Au Pair

Welcome to my page of Life as an Au Pair!

My first post on the page of Au Pair Life is the overview of my Au Pair Program.  For the detail, au pair experiences, specific experiences, and helpful information regarding becoming and au pair as well as being and au pair, you will be able to find out from this page of my blog.  I will continue posting from  my experiences and my memories.  Also, if you have any questions, idea, or opinion regarding Au Pair Life, feel free to give me your comments or to send me your messages.  Love to hear from you too!

What were my goals of attending the Au Pair Program in USA?
1. To improve my English language.
2. To study in the college here for obtaining either Master Degree (Graduate Degree) or a professional certificate program.
3. To travel in the U.S. and to see many places I had only seen in the books or the magazines.
4. To broaden my points of view and to exchange the culture with other au pairs and the host family.

I completed all of my goals I set within 2 years.  For the detail of the path to complete each goal, you will find out later because I will keep posting.

I decided to participate the Au Pair Program in the United States in 2003.  First, the Au Pair Program was only 1-year program. But during my first 6 months of au pair program, the Au Pair Program has announced the extension program of 6 months, 9 months and 12 months.  Thus, I had a chance to choose if I would like to extend my au pair program and if I would like to stay with the same host family or find the new host family.  It was difficult to make a decision because I missed my family and friends in Thailand since it had been almost 1 year that I was far away from home.  Finally, I decided to extend 6 more months with the same host family because I would like to finish studying my certificate programs in the U.S. and also I would like to experience the graduation ceremony here how it would be because I believed that it would be different from the graduation ceremony in Thailand.  Then, I still had 1 more course left to graduate and the graduation ceremony would be held after my 6-month extension.  So I decided to extend 3 more months to be 9-month extension.  But my host parents asked me to stay until the end of 12-month extension.  Finally, I decided to stay and to complete 2-year Au Pair Program with only one host family.

I must say that my first 5 months was not easy but not too difficult as well.  Coming to stay in the U.S. in the Au Pair Program was my first time of traveling abroad.  Sometimes I felt homesick but I considered that I did very good about adjusting myself into the new environment, different culture, and different lifestyle.  I tried to go out when I had free time and I tried to focus on my goals of attending the Au Pair Program. To stay with the same host family for the entire 2 years, it did not mean that there was no problem at all.  Yes...I had some problems with my host parents and my host kids as other au pairs have had.  But I learnt the situation and solved the problems in order to get through every day's life.  After that my first year went fast.  But my first 6-month extension flew by very quick.  It was because I learnt how to handle with people and to deal with situation as well as to enjoy my life more.  

My host family and rules!!!
I was an au pair in Georgia, USA for 2 years from September 2003 - September 2005.  My host parents are both a doctor and my host father is also served for the military as well.  I had to take care of 2 children, 9-year-old boy and 6-year-old girl.  Also there was a beagle in the family whom I had never had the problem with.  My host parents were easy-going, treated me as an adult, and provided me the space and the independence but also they were welcome to give me any advice if I need.  Rules in the house?  My host mother told me at the first time I talked to her over the phone that there was no rule in the house and that was true.  My host parents did not have the curfew for me. They only told me to be responsible of my schedule and my work.  That was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment